Line and Linear Inequality Graphing in Java
Line and Linear Inequality Graphing:
This applet is copyright (©) Dec. 2006, Ian Vogt. Permission
to use, copy, and distribute this applet for non-commercial purposes without
written permission is granted provided this copyright notice is preserved
on all copies. This applet is provided "as-is" without any warrantee.
To draw a line:
You may create as many lines as you want. To create a broken line, first check
"Broken Line" checkbox.
- Move the mouse cursor to the first point on the line.
- Press and hold the left mouse button.
- Drag the mouse cursor to the second point. You will see a "rubber band"
line from the first point.
- Release the mouse button. The program will draw a line between and beyond
the two plotted points
To delete the last line drawn click the right mouse button (or hold the Ctrl
key while you click the left button) anywhere on the graph paper.
To change the scale of the axes, click on the "Select Scale" pull-down
field and change to the desired scale.
For graphs of inequalities you can add shading to the graph:
Shading will appear on that side of the line(s) and a blue
dot is plotted on the location you clicked. For example, you should click
on the test point you used to determine which side to shade. You can create
an unlimited number of shaded areas. To remove the last shading created, click the right
mouse button when the "Shade" button is selected.
- Select the "Shade" button.
- Move the mouse cursor to the side of the line(s) to be shaded and click.
To paste the graph into a document (e.g. MS Word):
Click the "Copy to Clipboard"
button. Then switch to the document and press Ctrl-v or Edit->Paste.
If access to the system clipboard is blocked the button changes
to "NO ACCESS" and you have to use this procedure:
- With the graph displayed in your browser window, press the Ctrl-Alt-Shift-PrtSc
key combination (that is, all at the same time).
- Go to your document and press Ctrl-v to paste an image of your
browser window into the document.
- Use MS Word's picture crop and size adjustment features to get just the graph
included at the right size:
- Click on the graph and a "Picture Toolbar" should appear. If not, right-click the
graph a select "Show Picture Toolbar".
- Click the "Crop" button and move the lines around the picture until just the
graph is showing.
- Click the "Crop" button again to unselect it and move the lines around
the picture until it is the right size.